Until last December she'd lived by herself since my Grandfather died 26 years ago. She's cooked, cleaned, and done everything for herself. She was an independent lady.
The funeral is on Friday. Friday 13th. Red Nose Day. I think is particularly appropriate as she was most definitely always ready for a laugh. I'll be flying to the UK for the funeral next week.
For those of you who didn't know my Nan here are a few basic facts to give you a flavour of her character:
- She joined a dating agency in her 80s but complained that they kept sending her old men.
- She always had a glass of sherry at lunchtime.
- She always had a G&T in the evening.
- She used to drink Vodka rather than Gin but changed over about 5 years ago when she decided that vodka didn't have much taste.
- She used to bet on the horses every day. 5p each way, which was the same stake my grandfather did when he was alive 30 years ago. The bookies wouldn't accept bets that small from anyone else.
- She loved to sing, and could damage ear drums at 50 paces.
PuffyFingers, LMI, my Mum, and I visited her last week. I'm very glad that she saw her great grandchildren, and they saw her, before she died.